Saturday 5 January 2013

Shell-shocked

My friends often joke that I have mermaid hair, because my hair is long enough to cover my chest. And this suits me just fine, as I love the idea of being a mermaid. On that note, a while ago, I saw a top online (by Wildfox) that had a set of shells over the chest, like a mermaid's shell-bra.

Wildfox "Ariel" Tank
I fell in love with this idea, and, (in a shocking, unexpected plot twist) decided to make my own.
The DIY
I picked up a tank top at Meltz for about R20 (on a buy-two-get-one-free special) and got a purple fabric paint tube at the local craft store, then set about my work.


It was super simple to make.

What you'll need:

  • A plain tank top
  • A tube of purple (or any colour) fabric paint
  • A tailor's pen (if you feel you need one - I always get nervous about doing something directly in permanent paint)
What to do:
  1.  Print out shell templates from the internet (it's easiest to google "shell outline" or something to that effect). It's easiest to print out two of the same, rather than just using one. Decide how large you want them to be.
  2. Put on your top and decide where you want the shells to be placed.
  3. Pull your shirt over a pillow, placing the templates underneath the shirt. Trace over the templates with a tailor's pen.
  4. After tracing, take your templates out and put plastic underneath (I just used old plastic filing sleeves).
  5. Use the tube of fabric paint to paint over the lines.
  6. Follow the packaging instructions to set the paint (often to iron the reverse side).
You can also find the full tutorial here on Cut Out + Keep.


I've been a bit uninspired lately, so this was a lovely, quick project to get me crafting again. :) I'm hoping to get some fabric tomorrow so that I can make cushion covers for my new university residence room (I'm going with a newspaper/typewriter theme).

Please let the fabric shop be open on a Sunday - I need to work to get my mind off of existence.
x

5 comments:

  1. THIS IS SO INNOVATIVE! I wish I could be so imaginative. Thanks for the follow

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much! I adore your journals. :)

      Delete
  2. I love all your crafts at CO+K! I also like your blog :)

    Lilly :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this! I have been eyeing that Wildfox t, but couldn't justify it's price tag. I'm totally going to try this DIY. Thanks for the inspiration, lovely!

    xo Ashley
    Twenties Girl Style

    ReplyDelete